Saturday, June 30, 2012

Chronicles of Vinayakan - II

July 18, 2012...I will be 30 yrs old. By that date, I hope to claim that I have successfully weathered the quarter life crisis. I never thought I will write this blog...but my friends tell me how much they enjoyed reading Chronicles of Vinayakan - I. Plus, I want to put few things in writing that I can reflect on when I will be 35 yrs old in the year 2017.

Read on, please.

Moving to house 1455 in Poorvanchal JNU. What a house! - July 2007

Shared the song 'Beedi' from the movie Omkara to a colleague in USA. As expected, she did not understand what the song was, I passed it of as Indian folk music - September 2007

Silk scarf and a pin stripe suit. A suit is a suit is a suit - November 2007

Brother's marriage. Dad and bro not seeing eye-to-eye. Wondered whether Indian family system and marriage in itself is overrated to keep the 'love' economy running. Over the years, I have grown increasingly cynical towards marriage, unfortunate! - November 2007

Hanging out with school friends at 'The Big Chill', Khan Market, New Delhi - an Italian food joint. A regular feature of our lives now - since December 2007

My first rock show in Shillong by Scorpions. So much energy. Oh yes, this is Steamrock Fever! Went to Cheerapunji the next day (supposedly wettest place on earth) - December 2007

First sip of Johnnie Walker Gold Label on the rocks. Admire the way a spirits company markets the bottle first to sell the liquid inside it - January 2008

My friend sets me up on a date by 'introducing' me to a girl through my blog. I was astonished to know that a girl would go on a blind date with me after reading my blog. I skip office and go - January 2008

India wins Test Match at Perth (WACA) vs. Australia. This is what wet dreams are made of - January 2008

Blind date girl eventually dumps me as I am not marriage material. Gets married to some other guy. Obviously, I wasn't invited - Sometime in 2008/09

Bhutan trip in less than Rs. 10,000. First time out of India. Fascinating country...among other things, its a country where phallic symbols are painted at the entrance of the house - December 2008

Delivered flowers to parents of a girl whom I have not met! I am such a nice guy - April 2009

On to twitter and I think I have found the social media platform that I wanted - June 2009

Went zipping on wire at Neemrana fort...A bit of adrenaline there - July 2009

Visited Bhubaneshawar and then Sun Temple at Konark. For a civilization that is Bharat which built this masterpiece 800 years ago, how did we lose our way so badly? - December 2009

Hired a wealth manager to multiply my pennies. Bizarre! Was I taking drugs? - March 2010

Between November 2004 and August 2009 - I have had seven flat tires. I believe, I have had more than my fair share of flat tires! Why, why?

Silver Medal, Corporate Sporting Challenge: Airtel Delhi Half Marathon. As a result of this, I got to meet Kapil Dev in office - November 2009

My first trip overseas on company business to Singapore after getting drunk at a friends place previous night. Many more trips follow but I remember this trip only in parts - August 2010

Got my milk tooth removed, thought of giving it to a jeweler to make an ornament out of it - December 2010

India wins Cricket World Cup. Celebration time! - April 2011

I chauffeured a pretty girl to the airport. For a nanosecond it seemed like she wanted to give me a bye-bye kiss...I kick myself for letting this moment pass. I am such an idiot - April 2011

Went to Khajuraho to admire erotic art / Kama Sutra carvings on temple walls. Played guide to two free spirited Dutch girls - Evelyn and Jonecka. This could be my alternative career choice if I quit my corporate gig - July 2011

Solo travel to Europe. I take on 8 cities over 21 days spread across 5 countries including Oktoberfest - Munich, Germany. Love it and recommend it - September 2011

Lost my wallet on train to Luxembourg from Amsterdam. Reported it to Luxembourg police and they gave me a page as proof. First Information Report (FIR) probably. What's more... a Dutch train official finds my wallet, establishes contact with me and mails it over to the hotel I was staying in Munich - September 2011

Who says French are aloof? I used google translate and used this line over and over again with cross section of French people in France. "Bonjour, Je suis indien et je parle français comme une vache espagnole. Parlez-vous anglais?" - This line works if you say it with a smile/touch of awkwardness. 100% success rate. September 2011

Relocated from New Delhi to Bangalore and lost my cuff-links in transit. My precious! - October 2011

Metallica, Live in Bangalore. Mindless crowd management by the event management company but an awesome show - October 2011

In my enthusiasm to chat up strangers, I lose my camera. I am so dumb. Bahrain airport - January 2012

Running and crowd spotting at Hong Kong's avenue of the stars. Amused to see my Asian friends posing near Bruce Lee's statue - May 2012

Grandpa passed away. Sad. He had a great life - May 2012

Ten years of work life complete. Tale of six jobs, two companies - June 2012

Wrote to a senior official of world's largest airline and suggested to him that he should include a pack of condoms as amenities for all the frequent fliers. He appreciated the feedback and I don't want to names drop on this blog - June 2012

I haven't found my camera face yet so I hope am ageing gracefully. I am so much more in control of my thoughts and actions than how I was at 25. Feel very sure about the choices I have made in life till this point and the ones I will be making in the years to come.

To celebrate my 30, I have changed the name of my blog to "Scatterbrained" - I am very sure those who know me well would agree that I am totally Scatterbrained.

Life begins at 30, see you on the other side.

5 comments:

Thought Provoking said...

Life begins when you want it to begin. As always chronicles are very interesting. I have always enjoyed your unique perspective on stuff.

Keep on writing keep on sharing :)

Unknown said...

Interesting, hardly get time to read. This is worth it. Finished this part & plan to continue...unless some one calls me for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Totally loved it and you indeed are Scatterbarined Twister!! and thats what makes you!

Like the way you keep track fo things :)

Thought Provoking said...

life begins when you want it to begin! great blog.
I had read it befre but just realised you bunked office in jan 2008 to go on a blind date...you were in my team then!!

Scatterbrained said...

@Thought Provoking - You were the best boss I could have reported into. It was because you were honest, you cared and worked real hard. I am not the only one who says that out of 100+ people who reported into you. A million "thank yous"