Monday, June 06, 2011

Chatter

Below is the question that was asked by one of my colleagues who works in the publishing division of the company I work for. I replied to him…I do not know whether it was published. Even if it did, I am sure it would have got edited. But my blog space gives me unlimited freedom and I am going to enjoy that freedom.
------------------------
Q. Ever been stranded on a plane, at an airport, or at a hotel because of weather conditions? If so, shoot me a message with what happened, how long you were delayed, and what you would do differently next time. Any lessons learned? I'm writing an article and want your input
------------------------

My reply


Oh yes, it happens all the time. My longest has been five hours at the Mumbai airport in 2005. Getting stranded is the best chance to chat up strangers/fellow passengers. I try to engage in simple conversations about their lives and things in general. Luckily, I have had very good success rate (100%). At Mumbai, there were a few things working in my favor. As the delay was because of the weather, I was not alone. There were so many passengers who had five hours of ‘nothing to do’ time. Plus, given my hotel experience, I am able to read people pretty quickly and tell who will engage in a conversation and who will be aloof….it’s easy, its common sense. For example, I will not approach a person who is reading a book. I look for those who are restless and are scanning the airport/hotel lobby; I approach them politely, look them in the eye, smile and ask a harmless question. Usually, they open up like a fountain, full of words.


These days, with the proliferation of tech gadgets (iPods, mobile phones etc), chatting up strangers is a hobby that I have been forced to put on the ‘endangered’ list. I have to work just a little harder. But still, I will not do anything differently; I will continue to chat up strangers. Lesson learned: Barriers break when people talk. Unfortunately, I haven’t clicked a photo with any of them. Its time I started doing it. Chatting them up and then photographing them with me in it will make a very good album by the time I turn 80. Be it a German, American, Russian or Brit…they all have the same standard stuff to say to me. “India is a beautiful country”, “it’s been great talking to you”, “Oh, I didn’t realize time X hours passed so quickly!”


When it’s an Indian I am talking to – the conversation is about bad politicians, our population and numerous things that could be better!

No comments: