Thursday, August 09, 2007

And it happened...I mean Divine Intervention

Alright, I know there are plenty of atheists out there.

Roughly 10 days ago my dad was down with viral fever. The usual stuff (read high fever, body ache, weakness, congestion and the like). As it is highly contagious, my mom went down with viral fever 6 days ago. 3 days ago on a sunny Tuesday morning, I wake up with severe cold, congestion, body ache and all the typical viral fever symptoms.

This cocky mind of mine is just not ready to give into the thought of lying on the bed for a week with fever and do nothing, so I go to work wearing my exuberant hat. Just an hour before the end of the day I am running a pretty high fever and my colleagues are like "Vinayakan, you need a break...let this damn viral fever be the excuse". I say to myself "OK you arrogant idiot, party is over, time is up, rest it is". I come home and slip into Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep....'Dreamlessness' is something I have not experienced, whether I am sleeping or not is extremely irrelevant.

I am fascinated by rivers since the day I was born, right from Colorado to Kavery to Ganga, same with dams - Hoover to Mettur to Tehri. In my dream I take a holy dip in the mythical Brahmaputra River. Viola..when I wake up, I am fresh as a daisy!

Ah my darling science, can you explain someone recovering from viral fever overnight by taking a holy dip and that too while dreaming? Forget it, it is a rhetorical question, don't even try answering it.

Hey atheists, there is divine intervention out there too!

6 comments:

Fall Out Boy said...

As always, I have been a fan of your pen....and this is no exception.

I also happen to be a strong believer of the Divine Intervention. Strange, but it does give you a totally different kick :))

RJ said...

hey vinna,
ask a doc yaar, he/she will be able to tell u exactly what u experienced. what u r calling divine intervention was nothing but a spontaneous recovery of a common viral infection...haven't u heard that viral fever doesn't respond to antibiotics (thats for the bacteria u see) and responds only to rest!unfortunately u'v irked the wrong nerve by saying that this is a rhetoric not to be answered....and the dream that u had was but a symbolic representation of all the phlegm in ur nose! y do we call it a running nose?? every one of us has experienced the unstoppable flow of phlegm from the nose which one unconsciously equates to a river! thats what u saw...dipping into it was giving in to a bad cold! so much for divine intervention. no i'm not an atheist but this was quite a thing to attribute to the Gods!

RJ said...

oh n before u ask me y it took u 3 days to recover n it took uncle n aunty longer...gotto tell u that the young and strong body has a certainly higher level of immunity for viruses...n viruses lose what we call virulence or aggressiveness after attacking several people...n hence 3 days for u!

Scatterbrained said...

Hi Janaki..I think you are making a lot of sense! You are a Doc and and you are a regular here. I should have known better..But yes, brickbats are welcome.

Now more than the viral fever I think I am suffereing from the worst case of 'foot-in-mouth' disease. And by now it is quite evident that my bird brain can not handle too much science!

RJ said...

don't be so hard on yourself vinna... rational explanations exist for everything that happens in life. but we must believe what we want to and what makes us feel good! and right u r i am a regular here. ur blogs r always fun to read n they give a great insight into those lil things that would pass us by. as i have said before, u are a great writer.

Scatterbrained said...

Ha RJ! That enlarges my ego. Thank you very much! On a serious note, I occasionally contribute in my company's online forum as well and that is usually business/strategy heavy. For the last 3-4 months I have thought seriously about spending some part of my career in Public Affairs & Corporate communications. But there are obstacles as I do not have any formal education in that field..Yes, with encouragement from friends like you I am chipping away...